Improve your Internet Speed and Prevent Phishing Attacks by using OpenDNS
Improve your Internet Speed and Prevent Phishing Attacks by using OpenDNS – Did you know when you type in any website name in your Browser, The domain name is converted into an IP Address of form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx using DNS Server. This DNS Server is generally of our ISP (Internet Service Provider). This conversion of domain name to IP Address may take some time which will in turn open your website with a delay of processing time consumed by DNS Server. Sometimes Even your ISP’s DNS Server may be down, In that case you won’t be able to reach the Website unless you know the IP Address of the Website you want to access. There is a free DNS Server service known as OpenDNS to get rid of these problems.
Advantages of OpenDNS
- Fast Processing
- Prevent Phishing Attacks
- Domain Name Correction
- Reliable and Secure
- Easy to Configure
- Fast Processing: – OpenDNS has a very fast and responsive DNS Server which maps Domain Names to IP Addresses which is up 24*7.
- Free: – It is totally free of cost and no additional hidden costs.
- Prevent Phishing Attacks: – OpenDNS creates a database of all the phishing attack URL’s and prevents you from giving away secret or useful information to attackers.
- Domain Name Correction: – If you accidently type in the wrong domain name. OpenDNS automatically changes it to the one you may be searching for. e.g goglee.com to google.com
- Reliable and Secure: – OpenDNS has a security team which prevents hackers from playing with DNS Servers and directs your searches to the right website.
- Easy To Configure: – OpenDNS is very easy to configure. No Installation Required
How To Configure OpenDNS?
Step 1 : – Go to Network and Sharing Settings and Click on Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Network Connection
Step 2: Click on Properties Button. You will see the following.
Step 3: Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 and Select the Radio Button ‘Use the following DNS Server Address’
Put in the following in Preferred DNS — 18.104.22.168
Put in the following in Alternate DNS — 22.214.171.124
And Do Keep a backup of the old DNS Configuration