Here is a list of 10 Companies Elon Musk was a part of.
Elon Musk has been a Sci fi lover from his childhood days. Technology was an integral part of his life. He admired the great scientist Issac Newton from the time he started studying Physics. He had a vision from early days of his life to protect the humanity as soon as he found out that the human race is going to be extinct after a couple of hundreds of years. He started with a company in partnership with his brother Kimbal Musk, namely Zip2 which was self-funded.
10. Zip 2 :- Zip2 was founded in 1995. Zip2 was a Global Link Information Network which linked local service providers to the service seekers and guided them to the directions on how to access the service. Zip2 was also known as Auto Guides which connected Online Newspapers to Local Dealers. In 1999, Compaq purchased Zip2 for $307 million and Elon and Kimbal drew loads of profit from this acquisition i.e $22 million and $15 million respectively.
9. X.com:- X.com was founded in 1999. X.com was an Online bank started by Elon Musk just few months after the Aquisition of Zip2 by Compaq. X.com was the first online functional bank ever.
8. PayPal: X.com was renamed as Paypal just after few months later when it was founded. It is an email payment and online financial service company which is also self-funded by Elon Musk. He invested $1o million of profit from the sale of Zip2 into PayPal. In 2000, The company merged with Confinity to bring new money transfer service.In late 2000 Elon Musk was ousted as the CEO of PayPal due to conflicts of Technology to be used in further development of Company but he was still an integral member of board in the PayPal family. In 2002 Ebay acquired Paypal for $1.5 billion as in stocks. Elon Musk sold his shares for $165 million profit.
7. SpaceX: SpaceX was the ultimate dream of Elon Musk. Space Exploration was the field he was passionate about from childhood days. In 2002, He started SpaceX for the advancements in the missile technology as the initial goal. Just prior to the foundation of SpaceX, In 2001 Elon started a Mars Oasis project to land a miniature greenhouse experiment on planet Mars. In the later part of 2001, He along with his best friend traveled to Russia to buy refurbished Intercontinental Missiles to send payloads into space but had to return empty handed. In 2002 They along with Mike Griffin went to Russia again for the search of same and were offered three missiles at the price of $8 million each. So Elon just stormed out of the meeting and took a flight back to the United States and decided to build budget missiles. He calculated the base price of raw material which was just 10% of the total cost of the rocket. They could cut down the launch margin by 10% and still enjoy loads of profit. This led to the foundation of SpaceX.
6. Tesla: Tesla was founded in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. Musk joined the board of directors in the year 2004. Musk was actively involved in the Roadster design but not in any operational way. During the financial crisis of 2008, Elon Musk took the leadership of the company as the CEO of Tesla. Later he took Tesla to a new level by launching Electric Car and AutoDrive car in later years.
5. SolarCity: SolarCity was founded in 2006 by Elon Musk and his cousins. SolarCity is one of the largest Solar Energy providers in the United States. SolarCity then started the largest factory which facilitates the production of Solar Energy producing equipments.
4. Hyperloop: Hyperloop was proposed in 2013 by Elon Musk. Hyperloop is high speeding transportation model proposed in which a cylindrical tube with low pressure will consist of a capsule shaped train which will take in passengers and train would move on an air cushion applying the concepts of Linear Induction and Air Compression.
3. Open AI: OpenAI was founded in late 2015 by Elon Musk. It is a nonprofit organization aimed at the betterment of humanity. This is to protect the human race from Super Intelligent Computers So that they don’t overpower Human Race and to prevent large companies from creating Super Intelligent Computers and to oppress others.
2. NeuraLink: NueraLink was a nanotechnology startup founded in 2016 by Elon Musk. This startup aims at integrating the Human Brain with Artificial Intelligence. Initially, Neuralink team wants to implant a nanotech device into Human brain to help human beings merge with Softwares and keep up with the new advancements in AI and to help cure Cancer and other diseases.
1. Boring Company: In 2017 Elon Musk founded a new company called The Boring Company which aims at improving the transportation and traffic problems in over crowded cities. Traffic has always been a problem and is going to be more of a problem in coming years. The Boring Companies aims at digging tunnels underneath the surface of earth and help traffic diverted to the tunnels. There can be unlimited number of tunnels underneath which he termed as multi dimensional roads.